Wednesday, October 24, 2018

And HERE'S Whose Shoes 6'-11"-Scott Had to FILL -- Samuel Barber Writing the MUSIC to the ALMA MATER of My TRUE High School Alma Mater, B. Reed Henderson High in West Chester, Pennsylvania:


Me, beset by FAKE Christians most of my life.



The MAIN INTERSECTION in West Chester, Pennsylvania.




Readers should recall that Coretta Scott King hailed from West Chester, and after MLK, Jr. was assassinated, she hid out there with her family. I didn't even KNOW that -- although I lived there then -- and later, 1990, I was in a brief snail-mail conversation with her -- that during the time I was a CARD-CARRYING and DUES-PAYING member of the NAACP.










The funeral procession for President Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 1, 1945. 


Barber's Adagio for Strings was played for FDR's funeral as well as President John F. Kennedy's.


Hulton Archive/Getty Images






>>> CLICK THIS LINK to hear the version I was listening to on an Electronic Dance station on internet radio that inspired this posting:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4pSYN98vQ



Childhood home of Samuel Barber in West Chester, Pennsylvania

Barber was born in West Chester, Pennsylvania, the son of Marguerite McLeod (née Beatty) and Samuel Le Roy Barber.[2] He was born into a comfortable, educated, social, and distinguished American family. His father Samuel, was a physician; his mother, Marguerite, was a pianist of English-Scottish-Irish (British) descent whose family had lived in the United States since the time of the American Revolutionary War.[3] His aunt, Louise Homer, was a leading contralto at the Metropolitan Opera; his uncle, Sidney Homer, was a composer of American art songs. Louise Homer is known to have influenced Barber's interest in voice. Through his aunt, Barber had access to many great singers and songs.
At a very early age, Barber became profoundly interested in music, and it was apparent that he had great musical talent and ability. He began studying the piano at the age of 6 and at age 7 composed his first work, Sadness, a 23-measure solo piano piece in C minor.[1] Despite Barber's interest in music, his family wanted him to become a typical, athletic, American boy. This meant particular interest in his playing football. However, Barber was in no way a typical and at the age of nine he wrote to his mother:[4]
Dear Mother: I have written this to tell you my worrying secret. Now don't cry when you read it because it is neither yours nor my fault. I suppose I will have to tell it now without any nonsense. To begin with I was not meant to be an athlet [sic]. I was meant to be a composer, and will be I'm sure. I'll ask you one more thing.—Don't ask me to try to forget this unpleasant thing and go play football.Please—Sometimes I've been worrying about this so much that it makes me mad (not very).[5]

Barber attempted to write his first opera, entitled The Rose Tree, at the age of 10 . . . 


SEE: in the 1967 Kenan Genealogy, it said I'd go BASKETBALL at Duke University -- but like Samuel Barber, I REJECTED my family's ideas -- and was degreed in ART, at Denison University!!!









.

No comments:

Post a Comment