Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Things Might-Could Get HOOTYLICIOUS -- Come Tomorrow . . .

“Things are not as easily understood nor as expressible as people usually would like us to believe. Most happenings are beyond expression; they exist where a word has never intruded.”

― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

LikeComment

You see, when I went out early this morning to speak with landlady Gold and her maintenance man, Tom -- to let them know I had a few hours of writing, before I could take on the next project -- I found them exiting Vincent's FINALLY-vacated apartment. And I didn't get out a sentence when they exclaimed, "Oh, you don't have to work every day!!!".

And then Gold pulled a twenty-dollar bill out of her purple purse, and handed it to me saying, well have some cash to spend (I now wonder if she thinks I actually have to work)!!! But I think she just wanted me to know she appreciated my jumping in to help out. They THEN threatened me with a Claxton Fruit Cake (like they have an intention to give me one)!!!

Now, I'm not dissing Claxton, it's just that beginning in the mid 1970's when I lived in Cape May, I took my Mom's recipe which was HER mother, Gertrude Hesselbrock's:




Gertrude Hesselbrock age 5 in 1900, Cincinnati, Ohio



I still have this triptych of photos -- now properly matted and framed and hanging in my living room.


It was a very dark, German fruitcake, the darkness from almost more dates than flour -- and they both wrapped their cakes in cheesecloth, dowsed them with a libation of fine Kentucky Bourbon, and stored them dark and air-tight for a couple of months.

But in the anti-processed mid-1970's, I replaced all the candied fruit with chopped dried apricots -- so just that plus nuts, dates, and Bourbon.


Those many cakes each year were the MOST APPRECIATED presents I ever gave.

I'll just submit to what is certainly meant in the best way. To see what happened when Tennessee William's assistant who preceded me burnt a meatloaf -- and served it anyway, leading (with other events), to my working for the playwright:

WARNING: the story also includes a gun, drugs, and that assistant's boyfriend (and this is nowhere mentioned in the book -- and only once in this blog, years ago), but he was from Wilmington, North Carolina -- the son of the owners of the LONG FAMOUS Flip's Barbecue, now gone. 

You could read thishttp://laterdaysoftennesseewilliams.blogspot.com/2013/10/chapter-2-employment.html

>>> IN ANY CASE: What Gold and Tom want me to do next is rake Gold's yard, which is larger than the area I've raked so far (which is now 1/3 the way to needing a re-raking!!!), and the parking lot behind First Presbyterian's Boney Hall (which has a half-hidden plaque showing it to be a gift of the Kenan Family), that lies under Gold's giant Magnolia tree -- because they never do (although they keep the rest of their property immaculate). 

She just feels it's right that I do that first (regardless their housing trashy criminals in the house between hers and Boney Hall -- lowering property values for everyone in the neighborhood, no less!!!). And to think that just over four years ago, I was the volunteer groundskeeper for the Biblical Herb Garden, from which I have TWICE, recently, stolen a wand of rosemary (but always judiciously).


So I guess I'll be carin' for their property a smidge, again -- COOL!!!


>>> Meanwhile, Our Nation's Popular Presbyterian just AGAIN went up in the POLLS!!!

Scott Kenan
5 hrsCNN
"Nuff SAID, Adolph Hitler II!!!


Donald Trump said Wednesday that he would kill the families of terrorists in order to win the fight against ISIS.
CNN.COM|BY TOM LOBIANCO, CNN

San Bernardino was the second mass shooting today. UNC Chapel Hill's LOCKDOWN this morning was minor compared to several other things, today.


San Bernardino was the second mass shooting today.
USUNCUT.COM


Scott Kenan shared a link.
1 hr


I used to think that it was just me, that it was my problem, my deficiency, my moral defect. It had to be. All those times when I felt like an outsider in this American Jesus thing; the ever-more f...
JOHNPAVLOVITZ.COM





Scott

.

No comments:

Post a Comment