Friday, August 1, 2014

Perhaps It Was the Beans . . .


This is not the most appetizing of food photos from Nacho Daddy -- but it definitely shows the beans . . .




>>> THIS JUST IN @ 12:17 PM, CDT: For the FIRST TIME, I just now got an AD for John Lahr's Tennessee Williams biography, set to be released September 22, in my FACEBOOK FEED!!!





>>> FIRST THE FACTS:

At 4:45 PM yesterday afternoon, Elizabeth Ensor (one of the principals at Act II Stages), sent me this email message: "Correction: The Boutique is NOT moving into Nacho Daddy's. Some guys that produced a couple of shows there are using that space." I didn't see the email until after 9:00, had had two cocktails and some smoke (unlike Tennessee Williams, Ernest Hemmingway, and that generation, I CANNOT WRITE SERIOUSLY under the influence), so I shot off a quick angry note to a few writers group members, because Nacho Daddy's owner was more confident about things than I had portrayed, so it seemed unbelievable.

And last night I tried to understand -- thinking that perhaps Elizabeth was auditioning me for "Internetic Improv" to see how I respond to conflicting info from a primary source, and she, an important secondary source. It really wasn't until I slept on it that I realized what would seem most obvious -- that the owner, having had the business for many years now, has a good and somewhat independent manager who had made commitments he was unaware of. And then Elizabeth did the most responsible thing: let me know the truth ASAP (and better she than the owner, since he must feel a little silly).

Well, I give him points for trying and good intentions.

He also told me that last night was their last night, and today they shut down for two months vacation. I see NO MENTION of that on their website. Who knows if it is true.



I DO hope Boutique Theatre finds a new home and soon. Having friendly competition in theaters helps all -- and makes Puerto Vallarta known as a place of good theater.


Scott


>>> OTHER INTERESTING NOTES:


1.



Well, a storm has rolled into Puerto Vallarta, and running a quick errand before it hit, I came back to see my tension-rod-hung curtains had blown down, and two potted palm trees in my back garden had blown over -- as well as the LARGEST limb broke off my "Dragon Spike tree", whose real identity I don't know -- do you???


You can see the spikes better here:




2. And NO, I'm not locked into my house because I'm crazy. Security grates for doors and windows are everywhere in Mexico, and just seem part of the "Spanish" architecture, but in the USA, they look totally depressing and like a warning not to stay in the neighborhood.


3.And speaking of crazy, I DID entertain, briefly, the idea that the owner of Nacho Daddy was NOT who he said he was and I was being set up to look like a fool, but I have found the BIGGEST test of possible paranoid ideas, is to identify one's adversaries' PURPOSE for the action and whether it is worth their trouble -- or would even be practical. Unlike Luis Melgoza and Salvador Fuentes' of www.PVGeeks.com and the "Gringo Market" at Paradise Community Center punking of me in 2010, when they set me up to believe they had 60 MINUTES interviewing me, there would be no reason to expend all the energy to fool me here.


4. Although the proportion of hits here in Mexico actually went DOWN the last 24 hours (so the misinformation about Boutique Theatre wasn't really hitting here where it counts), at 11:00 - 11:15 last night (midnight in New York), 90 people hit this blog -- and in the last day of July, 39 more people hit my book, WALKING ON GLASS: A MEMOIR OF THE LATER DAYS OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, now published for free online, bringing July's total to 440!!!






5. A SIGN OF PROGRESS!!! PRESUMED WHITE (mostly), AMERICAN CHRISTIANS DARE to stage a Tennessee Williams play 56 years after it premiered and 55 years after a major motion picture was made of it.

The story caught my eye, because even while he was alive, Henry Flagler had turned over day-to-day decisions on his development of Florida to my distant relative, William R. Kenan, Jr., the one whose foundation is at the HEART of Kenan charities, now the world's largest private support of University Education for 101 years.

Essentially, since the Kenan Family not only inherited Flager's portion of Standard Oil, Florida development, and his stake in US railroads in 1913 -- and fully owning them, continued the projects since then, nearly everything in Florida labelled "Flagler" could just as well be labelled "Kenan".

Anyway, I thought this comment was rather hooty:



The cast of “Suddenly, Last Summer:” Back row, from left: Phillipa Rose and Leanna Gardella; front: Bruce Scott, Peter Gutierrez, Annie Gaybis, Anne Kraft and Bobbi Fouts - 

The story behind “Suddenly, Last Summer,” by Tennessee Williams, is one that may make the audience squirm in their seats. But with leads being played by career actresses Annie Gaybis and Anne Kraft, the audience will have a hard time looking away. 

“It’s a little edgy for Flagler County,” said Sam Perkovich, president of the Palm Coast Arts Foundation. “But we said, ‘Yes, let’s do it!’


And then reading more of the write-up, the play's description sounds like it is about my mother and her DESPERATION (with help of so many Republicans in Georgia and North Carolina -- where Democrats happily joined in too -- the Episcopal Church, and the CIA), to CHEMICALLY LOBOTOMIZE ME on Lithium Carbonate, which Mom had been successful at for 31 years.


That did NOT remove the swastikas from our dinner plates -- nor erase the daily beatings I and my siblings had to endure.


"The one-act play was originally performed off Broadway in 1958 with a film version in 1959 and is referred to as Williams’ starkest and most poetic work. In the play, Catharine Holly, a poor relation of a prominent New Orleans family, seems to be insane after her cousin Sebastian dies under mysterious circumstances on a trip to Europe. Sebastian’s mother, Violet Venable, tries to cloud the truth by calling in a doctor to silence her."




"You've got to cut this hideous story out of her brain, Dr. Sugar." 


Well, I think that is enough of all of this for now . . .

Scott




.

No comments:

Post a Comment